Coq Au Vin : Dave Tran
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Prepare a whole chicken!
Place chicken carcass in oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool. Salt breasts, legs and wings and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
Make your Stock
Place chopped onion, half of the carrots, thyme and rosemary in 5-6qt stock pot.
Add carcass and water until everything is submerged. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2-3 hours, until liquid has reduced.
Strain stock into pot and skim off excess fat.
Create your Braising Mix
- Heat Dutch oven over medium heat and add bacon, cooking until crispy, 8-10 minutes.
- Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside for garnish. Add remaining onion and green garlic to bacon fat. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until translucent.
- Add mushrooms and sauté for 3 minutes. Remove vegetables and set aside.
- Add chicken meat and sear until lightly browned. Add sautéed vegetables, rainbow chard, wine and enough chicken stock to cover.
- Bring to a boil for 3-5 minutes to cook off wine.
- Cover and place in oven for 30 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and place on top of the stove.
- Remove chicken and vegetables and set aside.
- Strain braising liquid into pot over low heat and add butter.
- Continue cooking until liquid has reduced by two-thirds.
- Place vegetables and chicken on plate and top with gravy.
- Finish with lemon zest, raw green garlic and bacon.