1 pound leeks, dark green tops cut off
2 Tbsp capers (optional)
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 cup shredded hard cheese (optional)
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt & pepper, to taste
For the Sauce:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1.5 tbs lemon juice
1 tsp ground black pepper
Hot sauce (to taste, a few splashes)
Salt, to taste
1. Slice leeks in half through the root and briefly rinse in cold water. Slice into thin half moons. Rinse in a colander to remove any remaining dirt.
2. Heat a medium-sized pot full of water to a rolling boil seasoned generously with salt. Drop the leeks in and simmer for about 4 minutes, until softened but not falling apart. Remove, drain, and let cool.
3. In a large bowl, combine the capers, flour, egg, red pepper flakes, and cheese with the blanched leeks. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine.
4. In a skillet, heat up 1/4 cup olive oil over medium heat. When warm, fry the leek mixture in patties - they can be any size but keeping them consistent will help the fritters cook evenly. Flip after about three minutes, make sure they are golden on each side and warmed through. Drain off the oil on a towel or wire rack, season with salt after removing from the pan.
5. For the sauce, combine the mayonnaise (homemade or store bought), lemon juice, black pepper, and hot sauce. Stir to combine, add salt to taste. Serve together as an appetizer or side dish.